1. Local
Laura Horton

First Impressions of Bodies: The Exhibition in Atlanta

By January 12, 2009

I finally had a chance to go see Bodies: The Exhibition in Atlantic Station this weekend. I was able to get tickets online just a few hours in advance of attending - they had open availability for all time slots - and thanks to my readers here for sharing the promo code for a 20% discount (use SUPERTIX at MuseumTix, not applicable for Dialog in the Dark combo ticket).

My full review is coming soon, but here are a few first impressions I wanted to share:

• Bodies is NOT gross. Please don't miss out on this very cool exhibit because you are afraid you'll be grossed out.
  • You can get very close to most displays. I was expecting more things to be held in glass cases, but this is up close and personal.
  • After visiting both Dialog in the Dark and Bodies, I highly recommend purchasing the combo ticket to attend both exhibits. Neither takes much more than an hour and it would make for an interesting and very educational afternoon, especially if you don't live close to Atlantic Station and had to make a long trip to attend.
  • Don't forget that you can get shopping and dining discounts at Atlantic Station with your ticket stub on the day of your visit!

Image courtesy of Bodies: The Exhibition

Comments

January 15, 2009 at 5:18 pm
(1) NL says:

What do you mean “not gross”? Even the pic is gross! This is exploitation at it’s worst for $$. What I would learn in an hour is not worth the realization that these are human bodies on display…for a little education and a lot of capital.

January 16, 2009 at 10:05 am
(2) atlanta says:

Thanks for your comment, NL. I guess some people may still not enjoy the exhibit, but I just meant that my personal impression was that it had a very museum quality to it. There were people of all ages there, including children, and no one was making faces or felt put off by the displays in any way. There were not blood and guts, etc. I really do feel that the majority of people will not be “grossed out” by Bodies.

January 22, 2009 at 6:50 pm
(3) gayle swanson says:

I’d love to go and would like to know more about obtaining the 20% discount code. Can you help? Thanks.

January 23, 2009 at 10:39 am
(4) atlanta says:

For the discount code, just buy your tickets through MuseumTix.com and use the code SUPERTIX at checkout. Not sure when it expires, but many readers have had luck with it.

February 27, 2009 at 1:59 pm
(5) MD says:

I this exhibit OK to take kids to? I’ve got a 2 & 4 year old but I don’t want them to get nightmares.

February 27, 2009 at 2:32 pm
(6) Laura Folio says:

Hmmm, kids are a tricky one. The exhibit is very scientific, in my opinion. They look just like the pictures on the official website intro (http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/intro.html) and they are hard and shiny like plastic, not at all “blood and guts.”

Much of the exhibit is actually in cases and it just interior body parts. I don’t think this would be scary at all. I can see how the life-sized, full bodies could be a little more intimidating for children – but I don’t have kids of my own, so it’s a bit hard to judge.

Please chime in if anyone else has been and has thoughts to share.

September 4, 2010 at 10:58 am
(7) pasta says:

This was VERY disappointing. I know it was only $22 per ticket, but I drove for 3 hours just to see this exhibit. This is NOT the famous “Body Worlds” exhibit. It took less than 20 minutes to see all the displays (not rushed), and the vast majority of them were just spleens, knee joints, arteries, lungs, etc. The fetuses at the end were really amazing, but that was it. If you have already seen “Body Worlds” then this will be a huge let down. The original “Body Worlds” was a science AND art exhibit.

This Atlanta version was just a collection of 3-D models from a high school anatomy text book. No man riding horse, no camel, no reclining pregnant woman, no chess player, no archer, no skin man, no runner, no swimmer, no artistic pieces at all. All the most beautifully stunning pieces were missing, leaving only the most mundane anatomical exhibits to fill up 20 minutes. This exhibit was like the opening credits to a movie, and it was over before it even got started.

June 4, 2012 at 4:56 am
(8) Zoo says:

Hello Ruud,thank you for your post. Great to see that you are still in the world of mail-art. I hope all is well with you.All the bestBen & Debby (now married!) from the Museum of Temporary Art