Collier Hills at a Glance:
The Collier Hills area is a popular intown neighborhood with rich history. Residents favor this part of town because it’s convenient to both Midtown and Buckhead and offers easy access to the I-75, yet it feels like a friendly suburb with quaint homes and lots of greenery.
On the Map:
Collier Hills is located on the edge of the Buckhead district near Collier Rd. The Collier Hills neighborhood spans from Tanyard Creek and the railroad line to Northside Drive, and includes the area just west of Peachtree Street along 26th Street, 28th Street and Collier Rd.
Housing in Collier Hills offers a variety of options, including modest one-story homes built around World War II, large new homes, high-rise condos and large apartment complexes.
- To Rent: 44% of properties in Collier Hills are rentals. There are many apartment complexes along Collier Rd. with prices ranging from around $700/month for a small studio to $1,700/month for a newer 3-bedroom unit with resort-like amenities.
- To Buy: Home prices begin around $300,000, with larger, newer homes often selling for upwards of $1 million.
Activities and Attractions:
Collier Hills is home to the following large parks:
- Tanyard Creek, where visitors can see the historic mill ruins or try out the modern playground
- Atlanta Memorial, which includes a golf course, a tennis center, a playground and a dog park
- Tanyard Creek Park and Atlanta Memorial Park both contain many markers telling the story of the Battle of Peachtree Creek.
- At the entrances to Tanyard Creek Park there are old mill stones telling the story of Collier’s Mill.
- The granite marker at Peachtree Road and Palisades Road marks the intersection of historic Native American trails.
Bars and Restaurants:
Ted’s Montana Grill, owned by Atlanta local Ted Turner, serves up juicy bison burgers with loads of toppings. Get your pizza fix at local chain Fellini’s and enjoy the patio in warm weather. For hearty homemade pasta at bargain prices, visit the tiny but quaint Figo. The beer flows freely at local watering holes Fox & Hounds and Central City Tavern, or you can challenge local pool sharks at Stooges.Shopping:
The District at Howell Mill, located within a mile of Collier Hills, has all the necessities, including TJ Maxx, Wal-Mart, Lane Bryant, Office Depot, PetSmart and Ulta.
Collier Hills offers easy access to I-75 and major Atlanta throughways, Peachtree Road and Northside Drive.
- AMTRAK rail service can be accessed at the nearby Brookwood Station
- Marta Bus Routes serving Collier Hills: 37, 137
- E. Rivers Elementary School, 8 Peachtree Battle Ave.
- Morris Brandon Elementary School, 2741 Howell Mill Rd.
- Sutton Middle School, 4360 Powers Ferry Rd.
- North Atlanta High School, 2875 Northside Dr.
By the Numbers*:
- Total Population: 63,911
- Median Age: 30.7
- Household Size: 2.7
- Non-family households: 46%
- Average income: $35,089
- Average commute time: 23 minutes
*Source: AJC HomeFinder
Collier Hills Essentials:
Zip code: 30318
1984 Howell Mill Road NW, Atlanta, GA 30327
9:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday
9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., Saturday
Bank of America, 1775 Howell Mill Road
Citgo Food Mart, 1203 Collier Road
Phillips E Z Stop, 2118 Defoor Ferry Road
Atlanta Police Department, Zone 2
3120 Maple Dr N.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30305
Office: (404) 848-7231
Before Atlanta was home to gracious Southerners, Native American tribes inhabited the area. On the eastern-most edge of Collier Hills, a granite marker on Peachtree Road marks the spot where two major Creek Indian trails, the Echota Trail and the Peachtree Trail, intersected.
The homestead of one of Atlanta’s oldest families, the Collier family, once encompassed much of the Collier Hills area. The 1864 Battle of Peachtree Creek took place at Collier’s Mill on Tanyard Creek, as Confederate forces fought to hold off General Sherman’s approach to burn down Atlanta. Today the story is retold on bronze markers in Tanyard Creek Park, as well as on mill stones and markers throughout the neighborhood. Souvenirs of the battle are still found during landscaping and other renovations.