Choose a Customer Service Center near you. Locations
Some Customer Service Centers accept appointments. Call the Contact Center Reservation line at (678) 413-8400 if you are visiting one of the following locations: South DeKalb Mall, Canton Rd in Marietta, Lithonia, Lawrenceville or Locust Grove. Appointments are encouraged but not required.
Be prepared to pay a $20 fee for a new 5-year license.
To exchange a valid out-of-state license for a Georgia license, you'll need to:
- Be at least 18
- Surrender a valid out of state license or an out of state license expired less than two years.
- Have a social security card or the appropriate exemption letter. You are required to provide the card. A W-2 statement with your social security number is also acceptable.
- Provide two documents as proof of Georigia residency. A utility bill or bank statement will work.
- Provide proof of identity & citizenship, such as a birth certificate or passport.
See the full list of acceptable documentation here.
If you have lost your out-of-state license, be prepared to present the following:
- A letter of clearance or certified driving record from the issuing state dated within 30 days including all licensing information from the issuing state.
- Proof of residency, identity and citizenship as noted above.
- If the out-of-state license has not expired for more than two years, you will only be required to take a vision test. If the out of state license is expired more than two years, you will be required to pass the written, road and vision exam.
New Georgia residents who are under 18 years old should call Department of Driver Services Customer Service at (678) 413-8400 to obtain information about requirements such as driver's education classes.
- If applicable, make a reservation to reduce wait time.
- Drivers required to take a written test will want to review the Full Driver's Manual.
- A 10-year license can be purchased for a fee of $35.
- Driver's License Offices Are Open Tuesday - Saturday. Tuesday is typically a very busy day.
- Note: Requirements for a Georgia Driver's License became more stringent in July 2012 in order to comply with the REAL ID Act of 2005.
What You Need
- Out-of-state drivers license valid within 2 years
- Proof of residency
- Proof of citizenship